What can we do to make our schools, malls, movie theaters, office buildings, churches, and other public places safe from gun violence?
1. Immediately prohibit those on the FBI Terrorist Watchlist from purchasing or possessing firearms. It is simply astounding that the gun lobby, led by the NRA, opposes such a ban.
2. Immediately ban the manufacture and sale of large capacity magazines (more than 10 rounds) for any firearm for civilian use. At the same time, fund a program to buy back and destroy existing magazines.
3. Prohibit concealed firearms in schools, malls, movie theaters, office buildings, churches, and other public places.
4. Close the "gun show loophole" by requiring a background check for any firearms sale. Crack down on illegal gun sales, with serious jail time for those found guilty of selling guns illegally.
5. Immediately put in place a national gun crime database to track firearms used in crimes. Again, it is simply astounding that the gun lobby opposes such a database. Any firearms recovered or captured or otherwise obtained in a criminal investigation should be confiscated and destroyed, similar to the way proceeds of drug cases are confiscated.